Help for Landlord's
Graham Watkins & Co provides three letting services: Adverts Only; Let Only; Full Management.
Each of the services varies in its provision and can be tailored to suit individual needs.
Adverts Only Service Includes:
1. Advising as to the likely rental income.
2. Advertising and generally marketing the Property.
3. Taking up references including credit reference, and employer or previous landlord reference. Where necessary, additional security would be requested by means of a guarantor. In the case of a company, a full bank reference would be taken. The agent can give no warranties as to the suitability of a prospective tenant.
Let Only Service Includes:
Points 1-3 above plus:-
4. Preparing the tenancy agreement necessary for the Landlord to gain protection of the relevant Rent and Housing Acts.
5. Liaising with a Landlord's mortgagees where necessary with regard to references and tenancy agreement.
6. Taking a deposit from the tenant, dealing with this deposit under the requirements of the chosen deposit protection scheme until the end of the tenancy when the Property and contents have been checked for unfair wear and tear and handling any termination issues with the tenant and the tenancy deposit scheme provider.
Full Management Services Includes:
Points 1-6 above plus:-
7. Arranging with service companies (principally electricity gas & water) for meter readings and advising them of the transfer of service contracts to the tenant at the beginning of each tenancy, subject to the agent being advised of the provider.
8. Regular inspections of the Property are carried out on a quarterly basis. Responsibility for and management of empty property is not normally included, and will only be carried out by special arrangement.
9. Co-ordination of repair or maintenance including arranging for tradesmen to attend the Property and obtaining estimates where necessary, supervising works and settling accounts from rents received.
10. Making payments on behalf of the Landlord from rents received for costs in managing the Property.
11. Carrying out a property inspection and inventory check at the end of the tenancy and, if necessary, preparing and agreeing a schedule of costs relating to any damage or unfair wear and tear prior to releasing the deposit.
12. Collecting and forwarding Landlord's mail.
We currently provide an extensive marketing package that encompasses broad online advertising utilising various property portals and adverts in the local press. We can produce marketing details on your property including colour photographs and floor plans (if necessary) and advertise the property on our website and in our Leek office.
When an application is received for your property it is sent to a referencing company for processing; this process normally takes up to one week (depending on demand). Once the reference has been returned we will discuss the results with you and you can then make an informed decision as to whether or not you wish to grant tenancy to that applicant.
As a landlord it is legal requirement for you to have a valid gas certificate done every 12 months and also when selling or renting a property an Energy Performance Certificate is required.
It is also recommended that the electrics in the property be checked every 5 years. Portable appliances to be left in the property must also be inspected and certified as being in safe working order before we allow the property to be let. This has to be done by a qualified electrician and can either be arranged by you or through us.
We also advise that an 'Inventory and Record of Condition' is carried out which details the condition of the property and its contents. In addition to a written description of condition we can also take colour photographs which can be referred to in the event of dispute.
It is advised that you advertise the property as in a state in which you would be willing to move into yourself. Potential tenants are more likely to take care of a property if they feel it has been looked after in the past.